What is a pendant light?
A pendant lighting is an individual light fitting hanging from the ceiling which can be used in any room. You will find what you are looking for while viewing our amazing range including built in LED pendants. We include every conceivable style, modern, country, art deco, and retro naming just a few. Designs from simple to ornate. Finishes from brass, copper, satin silver, chrome, plain or patterned fabric the list is endless.
Used above an island a pendant will look amazing whether you chose metal, directing the light source downwards in a pool of light, or glass in clear, amber, or smoked which will illuminate the room. We cannot of course forget the stylish ever popular rise and fall pendant; these pendants make an amazing statement over an island while also working extremely well over a dining table.
The current stylish trend of hanging a single pendant either side of the bed, above a bedside locker/table eliminates the need for table lamps or wall lights. Depending on your decor and style you can use a stylish crystal or chrome pendant if your tastes are totally in the opposite direction and you prefer contemporary to classic a simple cement or cage pendant will look bang on trend.
Metal cage and geometric pendants in black, copper, or brass add a modern touch to an outdated room, used with an LED dimmable vintage/filament style bulb these pendants make a great impact for very little cost.
What are the main types of pendant lights?
The main types of pendants lighting are:
- LED pendant light – an energy efficient light with built in LED.
- Rustic pendant light – perhaps made from ribbed or marbled glass used in a county style setting.
- Crystal pendant – lots of opportunities for use including living room and bedroom, adding a touch of style and class.
- Cage pendant – bringing a retro/industrial look with finishes including antique brass, bronze, or gold.
- Modern pendant – for a cool clean sleek contemporary look.
- Tiffany pendant – works wonderfully in an art deco setting but also adds warmth and interest to any room.
- Antique pendant – for those of us who prefer a more vintage homely look.
- Fabric pendant – used in living, dining, and bedrooms. Choose from linen, cotton, organza, plain or decorated some with decorative metal.
- Glass pendant – used mostly over islands, peninsulas, or tables. Lots of glass styles to choose from including alabaster, clear, opal or frosted glass.
What light will work above my dining table?
Choose a light with opaque sides so the light will shine from the bottom only. Hang the pendant low so it does not shine into your face while sitting eating, it is recommended that you leave 80cm to 100cm between the table and the bottom of the light.
How bright is a pendant light and can I dim them?
Brightness is measured in “lumens”, you will find the lumens rating by checking the technical specifications on the product page. The higher the lumens the brighter the light. Almost all our fittings can be dimmed by choosing an LED dimmable bulb. Please bear in mind to use an LED dimmable bulb your dimmer switch must be LED compatable however some pendants come with intergrated LED, please check the spec on the product to see if its dimmable.
Can I buy a pendant with built-in LED?
Yes, we have a large range of pendant lighting with built-in LED, for example the Paris family for Prism. To find out if the light you are interested in has a built-in bulb or not, just check the specifications on the product page for that light. If the technical specifications do not specify a base type, then the light bulb will be built in. These LED bulbs have an impressive life span up to 20000 hours.